2014年10月14日星期二

What makes it a “Good” Fiction?

The writing layout of Happy Endings by Margaret Atwood is novel to me. At the beginning of the fiction, the author puts the premise on the top: “John and Mary meet.” Then ”what happens next?” I believe it is the same question appears in every audience’s mind when they read the premise. Six individual sections composed the whole fiction, which are describing different plot about the question “what happens next?”
Although the plot of each section is different, they have a same ending- the end of A. Therefore the “happy endings” are all the same. “John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die. “ Actually, I can’t understand why the author describes this ending is a happy ending. For me, instead of happy, I would like to describe the death is ominous. The happy endings are not exist. The authorial voice is easy and makes me doubt whether this is a satire.

The six sections of stories show me six types of love stories. Same characters, different positions and flexible plots. I have to admit this is an amazing and interesting story. In my opinion, the author implies the weaker status of females. Moreover, she is introducing the principle that same ending can have thousands of processes.

没有评论:

发表评论